Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The court date is set!

A few days later I sent him the updated version that will be approved and signed in court. He started freaking out and saying that he didn’t really trust me and would have to review them again. I didn’t mind. I probably would have done the same. But I knew they wouldn’t be a problem because I had only changed the pieces that would make it approved by the court. I verified in detail that all the pieces concerning us were accurate and complete. I filled in dates that would have otherwise been written in. I hate having a document that is written all over. I like filing and turning in things that are neat and orderly.

Well, some time goes by and we go back to the court house to re-file. This time we simply met in front of the court house with the documents in hand. They had not been signed or notarized yet as the last one had been. Upon meeting him on the court steps, I point in the direction of the bank and begin to mention the notary. He was extremely inpatient and walked into the building before letting me finish. Again, I decided to drop it. I figured I’d let the clerk handle it again. He was under the assumption that they notarized documents in the courthouse and did not want to be told differently. Upon walking up to the clerk, a different one this time, the conversation went like this.

Him: “I would like to file these.”

Clerk: “Wait, they aren’t notarized.”

Him: “Yeah, don’t you do that?”

Clerk: “No. You have to take them to a notary.”

Him: getting irate, “Where do I do that!?”

Me: “Danny, as I was trying to say before, there’s a Bank Of America two blocks from here.”

Him: storms off

Clerk: Directed to me. “I can almost see why you want a divorce!”

I smiled and apologized for his actions and agreed with her. I told her she has part of the reason already.

So basically, at this point, you can probably see how the actual divorce proceeding was going. In the public eye, I was taking it one step at a time and not letting it get the best of me. For the past two years I had struggled with my inner demon. I had wondered if I made the right choice. I doubted myself in so many ways. I had been on a never-ending roller coaster that I was still waiting on to get off.

We notarized the documents and they were finally filed. A few days pass and we get word that the official court date is set for June 28, 2010. Exactly 3 days after our third anniversary. Some relief came over me, but not much. Now I worried that something would go wrong in court and the papers would not get signed. Being the “defendant” in the case, my presence was still not necessary in court. I decided that I would go anyway just to be sure. I knew I could not rely on my husband to follow through with anything. It was a big issue for him. He rarely followed through with his word and whenever he did, it was always something that was self-satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment